A digital outreach program of the Sweetwater County Historical Museum
Not all outreach involves face to face interaction. Watch this page for some great learning opportunities provided by the Sweetwater County Historical Museum. Whether you're a teacher looking to supplement your curriculum or a parent looking for something to help your kids learn, we have a variety of offerings. Don't forget to explore our "News & History" section and Facebook page for some great history and images. If you are looking more for research check our "Research" section. You can also check out our YouTube channel as we continue to add great historical content including videos of presentations from previous exhibits and more. Don't forget we also have our more traditional outreach offerings as well, including short videos and other activities, you can find those under the "Learn" tab.
Click the title to zoom to that part of the page.
These PDF lesson plans each have an activity and a worksheet, along with some background information. They are all designed to use the PDF itself with minor items that can be found in most homes or classrooms.:
- Twisty Cows: A crafting activity involving two spinning blocks of catte breeds, while designing your own catttle brand.
- Emigrant Trails Activity: A crafting activity involving a cut-and-paste covered wagon. This actiivty packet covers the emigrant trails in the county including the Oregon, Mormon, and California trails.
- Chinese New Year Math: This activity uses math worksheets to help explore the Chinese New Year celebration in Rock Springs in the 1800s. It comes from our Traveling Trunk Program.
More lesson plans coming soon!
Try some of these to supplement your curriculum.
- Kindergarten Constitution day
- First grade constitution day word search
- Constitution Day word search
- Constitution Day video
- Constitution Day for High School
- High School Constitution Day Questions
3rd Grade government:
- Third Grade Government Video (can be viewed with autogenerated subtitles in English and many other languages)
- 3rd grade government word scramble
- 3rd grade government hangman
- 3rd grade government crossword
Chinese in Rock Springs:
Primary and Secondary sources:
Nellie Tayloe Ross Day:
Have you ever wondered what the people who work at museums actually do? From people like curators who actually take of the collection to exhibit designers and events people it takes a lot of work to keep a museum running. These PDF activities are meant for individuals and families of all ages to explore some of the thought processes that go into running a museum.
More Homeseum activities coming soon!
You can see a variety of different videos on historical subjects, old exhibits on more on our YouTube channel! Powell Explores is perfect for young historians, while programs such as history in 3 minutes and history screenshots give something for all levels of historic interest!
Here are some great VIDEOS from some other great institutions:
- Wyoming PBS: Prohibition
- UWyo extension: Sweetwater County-Counties of Wyoming
- Wyoming's Atlantic Rim Historic Trails
- Smithsonian Channel: Why Wyoming Take's Women's Rights Seriously
- Fremont Indian State Park and Museum's introduction video
It’s time for #SWwyominghistorytrivia. Highlight the black bars for the answer.
Can you put the following in chronological order?
- Wild Bill Hickock is killed
- Wyoming becomes a state
- The Wounded Knee Massacre occurs
- The second Treaty of Fort Laramie is signed
- The second Treaty of Fort Laramie is signed (1868)
- Wild Bill Hickock is killed (1876)
- Wyoming becomes a state (July, 1890)
- The Wounded Knee Massacre occurs (December, 1890)
Check out our hashtag: #SWwyominghistorytrivia, on Facebook or Twitter for more trivia questions.
Don't forget our scholarship program
Green River Downtown Tour (Clio app/Theclio.com)-This tour gives a more in-depth look at some of the history of local historic buildings, including pictures and audio.
theclio.com-You can learn more about the history your local community and Sweetwater County on theclio.com and the Clio app. You can learn about some of the awesome historical locations around you, or around the country, from the comfort of your couch. Then you can even use the app to navigate to any of the fascinating locations you learn about on the app.
Here on jigsawplanet.com you can find a variety of digital puzzles made from pictures from the Museum's collection. Puzzle difficulties vary, from relatively simple 5 minute or less challenges to much longer and more difficult puzzles. How fast can YOU finish them?
- Coloring our Collections-this page is full of coloring pages based on the collections of many of the worlds art museums
- Smithsonian Learning Lab-This page is full of resources from the smithsonain involving long distance learning, including lesson plans and other offerings
- South Dakota State Historical Society-This page has lots of lesson plans for education kits that include great worksheets. While not all of the activities can be done without the education kit, many can be.
- Wyohistory.org-This online encyclopedia of Wyoming history includes many great articles including several written by members of our staff.
- History Colorado-This page includes a lot of digital outreach options targeted to Colorado history, including notable Coloradans and digital badges
- UFDC's Baldwin Library of Historical Children's Literature-This page is a digital database full of thousands of 19th and 20th century children's books
- The Digital Collection of the American Heritage Center-This page has a variety of items digitized from the collection of the American Heritage Center
- The Digital Collection of the University of Wyoming-This page has many items digitized from the collection of the University of Wyoming
- National Archives: At Home Learning-This page is full of options for Elementary level learners from the National Archives and Records Administration.
- Smithsonian Magazine: 68 institutions you can visit from home-This article from Smithsonian Magazine lists a variety of museums and culltural institutions with tours and other digital offerings.
- NASA at home-This site includes all sorts of fun science and space related activities.
- National Park Service: Find your VIRTUAL Park-This site includes all sorts of digital outreach links from National Parks across the country.
- The Alliance of American Museum's digital learning-This page contains a list of digital learning pages from museums across the country for all sorts of age ranges and abilities.
- South Dakota Digital Archives-Fun With History-This page includes a fun puzzle based on historic photos from the South Dakota Archives
- Union Pacific: Staying at Home with Your Kids?-This page has a great deal of resources for teachers and families related to railroad history, including coloring pages and other educational activities.